Black Bean Burgers
Black beans and cooked rice are used as the base of these delicious burgers. Flavored with scallions, garlic and spices, these are sure to please the whole family.
Recipe Source: ChooseMyPlate
- 1 can 15.5 ounce low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed with cold water)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 scallions (green and white minced about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoon Chopped fresh cilantro (or basil leaves or a combination)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- Add beans to a bowl and mash with a fork until chunky. Add the egg and mix well.
- Add precooked rice, scallions, garlic and oregano, salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each portion into a patty about ¾ to 1 inch thick.
- Place a large skillet on the stove on high heat. When the skillet is hot, add oil. Add burgers and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side until browned on both sides and heated throughout. Place on a whole wheat bun.
Notes: Try using old-fashioned rolled oats, leftover cooked barley or Panko breadcrumbs instead of prepared rice.
Serve with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, low-fat cheese, or low-fat yogurt.