Brown Rice Pilaf
This yummy dish is full of nutrients and fiber to keep you full until your next meal!
Recipe Source: ChooseMyPlate
- canola cooking spray (as needed)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 celery stalks (small, ends trimmed and chopped)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth (fat-free, reduced sodium)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage (chopped)
- salt (to taste, optional)
- pepper (to taste, optional)
- Spray the large skillet with canola cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth, raisins, and apricots; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts if desired, sage, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with fresh sage and serve immediately.