Southwestern Black-eyed Pea and Corn Salad
A great source of magnesium, calcium, iron, and fiber, this recipe is perfect for picnics, kid-friendly, and ready in minutes!
Recipe Source: Modified from a Cooking Matters Recipe
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 (15-1/2 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1 (15-1/4 ounce) can corn kernels, no salt added
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse and dice bell pepper, removing core and seeds. Peel, rinse, and dice onion.
- If using, rinse and chop cilantro leaves.
- In a colander, drain and rinse black-eyed peas and corn.
- In a large bowl, add pepper, onion, peas, corn, cilantro if using, and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Top with chopped avocado (optional).