Apple Corn Chili
For those who like to combine and experiment with different flavors, this recipe will delight you.
Recipe Source: ChooseMyPlate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 8 ounces of chicken breasts. Skinless and boneless (cut into medium cubes)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (ground)
1-15.2ounces canned corn (unsalted, drained)
- 2 red apples (chopped, peeled)
- 1/2 tablespoons of ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1-15 oz. Canned black beans (unsalted, drained and washed)
- 4 1/2 ounces diced green chilies
- 2 cups of water
- In a stockpot, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil; add chicken and brown (about 5 minutes). Remove chicken from pan.
- Heat remaining olive oil in same pot; add onions and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add corn and sauté until golden brown. Add apple, cumin, and cayenne pepper (if desired); cook about 3-4 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes.
- Set aside about 1 cup of mixture. Purée remainder in food processor or blender, adding a portion of water, if needed, and return to pot.
- Add browned chicken, black beans, chiles, and water. Bring to boil and simmer about 15 minutes. Chicken should be cooked to 165 ºF.
- To serve, ladle soup in bowls and top with non-puréed portion of apple corn mixture.