Bean and Vegetable Soup
This is a great hearty soup that has many different vegetables.
Recipe Source: CookingMatters.org
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 2 medium celery stalks
- 1 large tomato
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 (15½-ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (14½-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup frozen green sweet peas
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta (such as macaroni, or penne)
- Peel carrots, onion, and garlic cloves. Rinse carrots, onion, celery, tomato, and squash.
- Dice onion, celery, and tomato. Mince garlic.
Cut carrots and squash in half lengthwise. Place flat side down. Cut into thin, half-moon slices.
- If using, rinse parsley. Pluck leaves from stems. Mince.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and celery. Cook until slightly soft.
- Add dried herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, squash, beans, and peas. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta. Reduce heat and simmer. Cook until pasta is tender, about 8–12 minutes.
- If using parsley, stir into soup before serving.