Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup
Don’t be afraid of the pumpkin in this recipe! Pumpkin purée is full of nutrients and is a good substitution for cream to thicken soups!
Recipe Source: Cornell Food and Nutrition Education in Communities
- 3 15 oz. cans black beans
- 1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1/2 cups low fat, low sodium beef broth
- 1 16 oz. can pumpkin purée
- 1/2 lb. chopped ham
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of plain low fat Greek yogurt (optional)
- Purée beans and tomatoes in blender, set aside.
- In a large pan, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, cumin and pepper and cook until lightly browned.
- Stir in bean/tomato purée, beef broth and pumpkin.
- Let simmer 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat back of spoon.
- Add ham and vinegar; stir until heated through.
- Serving Suggestion: top with a tablespoon of plain low fat Greek yogurt.