Black Bean and Veggie Quesadilla
This delicious and nutritious recipe would be great with any veggies you have on hand.
Recipe Source: CookingMatters.org
- ½ (15½-ounce) can black beans, no salt added
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 bunch fresh spinach (about 4 cups)
- 1 can corn
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Pinch black pepper
- 1–2 teaspoons water
- 6 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- Non-stick cooking spray
- In a colander, drain and rinse black beans, set aside then drain and rinse corn.
- Rinse zucchini. Cut into thin slices or shred with a grater.
- Rinse and chop fresh spinach.
- Grate cheese.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add zucchini and cayenne pepper. Cook until zucchini is semi-soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add corn and spinach. Cover and cook until tender, stirring a few times, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Add black beans to the veggie mixture. Stir to combine. Smash beans lightly with a fork. Add 1–2 teaspoons water to make a bean-and-veggie paste.
- Spread vegetable mixture evenly on half of each tortilla. Add grated cheese. Fold tortillas over. Press lightly with spatula to flatten.
- Spray skillet lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium/high heat. Add one folded tortilla. Cook about 4 minutes per side, or until both sides of tortilla are golden brown. Repeat until all quesadillas are cooked.
- Cut each quesadilla into 2 wedges. Serve while hot.