Black Bean Veggie Patties
Missing summer barbecues? Try these inexpensive, flavorful, and protein-packed black bean burgers!
Recipe Source: jsyfruitveggies.org
- 2 cups cooked black beans, mashed
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix mashed beans, green pepper, onion and garlic.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce. Add to large bowl. Stir in bread crumbs. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- To make 1 patty, lightly pack some of the mixture to fill 1/3 cup measuring cup. Take mixture out of cup and form into a patty or burger shape. Repeat to make the other 4 patties.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cook patties over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.**
** The temperature of the patties must reach 160° F in the center to be sure the egg has been properly cooked.