Black Beans and Rice
Paired together, black beans and rice form a complete protein for an easy and filling meal or side dish.
Recipe Source: Common Threads
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano, minced
- 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice following package instructions, set aside.
- Chop the onion and bell pepper into small 1/4 inch dice.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and saute until the onion is soft. Add garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and beans and simmer 5-10 minutes. Stir in cooked rice and broth.
- Cook until hot. Remove from heat and add the fresh herbs.
- Cover and let rest for 5-10 minutes, serve and enjoy.