Braised Chicken Thighs with Spinach
Chicken thighs are cooked until golden brown then simmered in a rich onion, garlic, thyme, and rosemary sauce with tender spinach.
Recipe Source: MyPlate.gov
- 4 6-ounce bone in chicken thighs (skin removed)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion (peeled and chopped), about 1/4 cup
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced), about 3 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup water
- 1 package 10-ounce frozen spinach (or 1 bunch fresh spinach, about 1 cup)
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil. Add chicken, top side down. Cook about 8 minutes on each side, or until deeply browned.
Remove the chicken to a dinner plate and set aside.
- Reheat skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Cook about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and golden. Return the chicken to the pan.
- Add the water, and cover. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach and cook for about 10 minutes. Or, add the fresh spinach and cook about 2 minutes, until it wilts.