Brussels Sprouts, Apple and Sweet Potato Hash
Brussel sprouts are packed with immunity-boosting vitamin C and cancer-fighting agents!
Recipe Source: commonthreads.org
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 cup)
- Nonstick spray
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Pound brussels sprouts (about 1/2 cup)
- ½ Medium onion (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 Cup celery
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme)
- 1 Red apple (about 1 1/3 cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line the baking tray with aluminum foil to make clean-up easier.
- Peel and dice the sweet potato into small cubes.
- Spray the foil covered baking tray with oil and spread the sweet potato evenly over the tray.
- Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, slice the brussels sprouts into 1/4 inch rounds and dice onion and celery into small pieces. Remove the thyme from its stem and chop.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan over high heat and add brussels sprouts. Stir occasionally until caramelized.
- Reduce the heat to medium low heat and add the onion.
Cook slowly for 8 minutes and add the celery and continue cooking for another 6 minutes until onion is caramelized. As these ingredients cook, grate the apple.
- Increase heat to high and add sweet potatoes, grated apple and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes until heated thoroughly.