Brussels Sprouts with Mushroom Sauce
This side dish is delicious when made with brussels sprouts, and you could also make it with broccoli, cabbage, kale, collards, or turnips. Cooking time may vary for different types of vegetables.
Recipe Source: choosemyplate.gov recipes
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts (or broccoli, cabbage, kale, collards, or turnips)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard (spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- Trim brussels sprouts and cut in half. Steam until tender – about 6 to 10 minutes, or microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a non-stick pot bring the broth to a boil.
- Mix in the lemon juice, mustard, and thyme. Add the mushrooms.
- Boil until the broth is reduced by half, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the brussels sprouts (or other cooked vegetable).
- Toss well to coat with the sauce.