Butternut Squash with Black Beans
Butternut squash and black beans make a hearty side dish that is delicious and full of fiber and protein.
Recipe Source: ChooseMyPlate
- 2 3/4 cups Butternut squash, cubed (1 small squash, about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans black beans (16 ounces each, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Heat the squash in the microwave on high heat for 1-2 minutes. This will soften the skin.
- Carefully cut in half and peel the squash. Scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Cut the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic powder, and squash. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add vinegar and water. Cook on low heat until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and oregano. Cook until the beans are heated through.