Cherry Pineapple Delight
Make this gelatin dessert anytime of the year using canned oranges and pineapple.
Recipe Source: www.choosemyplate.gov/recipes
- 2 cups water (boiling)
- 1 package gelatin (8 serving size, cherry, sugar-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can pineapple chunks (20 oz, in juice, not drained)
- 2 cans (11 oz) mandarin oranges (in light syrup, drained)
- 16 ice cubes
- Pour boiling water into a large bowl. Add the gelatin and cinnamon to boiling water. Stir for at least 2 minutes until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Add enough ice (or cold water) to the juice to measure 1 1/2 cups. Add the gelatin mixture and stir until the ice is completely melted.
- Refrigerate for about 45 minutes or until the gelatin is slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg white).
- Reserve 1/4 cup each of the pineapple and orange. Add remaining pineapple and oranges to the gelatin. Pour into 1 1/2 quart serving bowl.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm. Garnish with reserved pineapple and oranges.