Collard Greens with Black-Eyed Peas and Tomatoes
This dish is delicious and packed with nutrients. Add hot sauce or chilis to spice it up!
Recipe Source: Cornell.edu Let’s Get Cooking 2012
- 1 large bunch collard greens, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans crushed or diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1 (14 oz) can black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon diced hot chilis, or hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash collards, remove stems, and slice leaves into strips. Cut across strips to cut leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onions and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in collards to coat with oil and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. (Add water if collards starts to stick to pot.)
- Stir in tomatoes, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas, maple syrup, cider vinegar, hot chilis, and spices–no salt needed!
- Stir well, cover, and simmer on low heat until collards are tender.
- Serve on a bed of brown rice.