Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Winter squash brings great flavor to this healthier version of homemade mac and cheese!
Recipe Source: Modified from a Cooking Matters recipe
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 12 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- (1 1/2 pounds) butternut or acorn squash
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- (16-ounce) container nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup dry whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Coat 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook macaroni for 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain and set aside. Reserve pot for later.
- While pasta cooks, cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Cut into large chunks. Place in microwave-safe bowl with water. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until tender, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- While squash cooks and cools, grate cheddar cheese.
- Place cooled squash in pot used to cook pasta. Mash with a fork. Add cottage cheese and milk. Stir until smooth. Add pasta, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined. Spread evenly in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake until breadcrumbs are browned and edges are bubbling, about 45 minutes.