Curried Potatoes with Red Lentils
Lentils and spices add protein and flavor to this mixed potato dish.
Recipe Source: choosemyplate.gov Curried Potatoes with Red Lentils
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (or more oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (use 2-3 garlic cloves)
- 1 sweet potato, medium peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (use a dark-fleshed potatoes)
- 2 potatoes, yellow, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (use thin-skinned potatoes, such as Yukon Gold)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh grated
- 1 tablespoon curry paste (or curry powder)
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- chopped fresh cilantro, divided (1/2 cup, optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt (to taste, optional)
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. When the butter melts and foam subsides, sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft and starting to turn golden.
- Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are starting to turn golden on the edges.
- Add the ginger and curry paste and cook for another minute.
- Add the lentils, cilantro (optional), vegetable stock, and coconut milk. Stir to combine well and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add a little water, stock, or coconut milk if it gets too thick.
- Add the lime juice and season with salt (optional). Serve hot.