Fried Rice with Chicken
This fried rice with chicken recipe is a healthier alternative to the takeout classic, but tastes just as delicious!
Recipe Source: commonthreads.org
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 cups spinach (or other greens)
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine 1 cup of brown rice with 2 cups of water in a large pot. Place the large pot on the stove over medium-high heat and allow it to boil. Once at a boil, add 1 teaspoon salt, reduce simmer and let cook for 40 minutes until rice has absorbed the water. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to sauté pan using medium heat, add diced chicken, season with salt and pepper, cook until golden brown, no pink in the middle and juices run clear (If using meat thermometer cook to internal temperature of 165F). Then add diced red bell pepper, julienned carrots, and chopped scallions to the sauté pan. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and then add minced garlic, cooking until vegetables are tender and fragrant. Be sure to not burn your garlic, reduce heat if necessary.
- Add the cooked rice to the sauté pan with the vegetables and chicken. Mix thoroughly and then add soy sauce and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Clear a space in the middle of the pan once all ingredients have been added by moving ingredients to the perimeter of the pan. Add 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil into the cleared space and quickly add egg to scramble. Stir and combine scrambled egg into the fried rice mixture.