Garden Sloppy Joes
This healthy twist on a classic is sure to become a family favorite!
Recipe Source: foodhero.org
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped or shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat turkey, chicken or beef)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms or ½ pound chopped fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
- Saute onions, carrots, green bell pepper and ground meat in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.