This stuffing has lots of crunch and flavor from the apples, celery, and onions. Whole wheat bread gives this recipe a boost of whole grains.
Recipe Source: ChooseMyPlate
- 10 cups whole wheat bread cubes (or white bread or buns, dry)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried (or 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 apples (optional – medium, pared, cored and chopped, or 1/4 cup raisins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put cubes in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Put water in medium saucepan. Add onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Do not drain. Pour over bread cubes.
- Stir in milk and egg. Gently stir in apples, and raisins, if desired.
- Spoon into a greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.