Hearty Black Bean Soup
This creamy black bean soup is packed with protein, fiber, and plenty of Southwestern flavor. Perfect for a light dinner or weekday lunches!
Recipe Source: Modified from Tasty
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 4 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until the oil begins to simmer.
- Add onions, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes until vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent.
- Add cumin, black beans, vegetable stock (or broth), water, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 30 minutes until the beans are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaf. Transfer about 4 cups of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour blended soup back into the pot and stir until mixed.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.