Stuffing mushrooms just makes something wonderful even better!
Recipe Source: ChooseMyPlate
- 8 large mushrooms (approx. 3″ in diameter)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup white onion
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (chopped fine)
- 3/4 cup canned, drained, no-salt added chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Clean mushrooms with a paper towel or vegetable brush; remove stems to use for the filling.
- While oven is warming, put mushroom caps (open side down) in oven for 10 minutes. This will prepare the caps for stuffing.
- Chop the garlic and onions and sauté with 1 tsp olive oil. One minute before they are finished, add the four herbs. After 1 minute, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mash mushroom stems and chickpeas.
- Add all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet and the mushroom caps.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the stuffing is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with an herb of your choice, and enjoy.