Holiday Roasted Butternut Squash
This festive and colorful side dish is a great compliment to any holiday meal.
Recipe Source: CookingMatters.org
- 2 pounds butternut squash
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon butter or canola oil
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 ½ Tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse and peel squash. Cut off ends and discard. Cut squash at the neck, creating a narrow end and a round end. Cut round end in half and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Cut both ends into ¾-inch, even-sized cubes.
- Coarsely chop walnuts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add squash. Toss with oil, sage, salt and ground black pepper.
- Spread squash evenly on a baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, until tender, about 35 minutes.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter or heat oil. Add walnuts and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cranberries and maple syrup.
- Gently toss cooked squash with cranberry mixture.