This dip is delicious served with vegetable sticks, or whole wheat pita bread.
Recipe Source: CookingMatters.org
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 large lemon
- 1 (15 1/2 – ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 fresh red pepper, or 3 roasted red peppers from a jar
- Pinch ground cumin, ground cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes
- Peel and chop garlic. If using fresh red pepper, rinse, remove core and seeds, and mince now. Or, mince jarred roasted red peppers.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
- In colander, drain and rinse beans.
- Add garlic, lemon juice, beans, and remaining ingredients to blender. If using optional spices, add now. Blend until creamy and well mixed.
- If using, top hummus with minced red pepper.