Italian Stuffed Peppers
A classic recipe, with a healthy twist — this recipe is loaded with nutrients and tastes delicious!
Recipe Source: Cooking Matters
- 3 large bell peppers
- 1/2 small bell pepper (any color)
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 ounces 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley leaves or thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rinse peppers and mushrooms. Cut large peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Finely chop bell pepper half. Finely chop mushrooms.
- Peel onion and garlic. Finely chop onion and mince garlic.
- Grate cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook turkey, finely chopped bell pepper, mushrooms, onion and garlic, crumbling turkey with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the turkey is browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a colander, drain off liquid and return to the pan. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice, parsley or thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Put 1/4 cup water in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Place the pepper halves, cut side up, in the baking dish. Divide turkey mixture among the pepper halves. Sprinkle each pepper half with 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Spray a sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover baking dish with the foil, sprayed side down. Bake until peppers are tender-crisp, about 30 minutes.