These yummy vegetarian burgers are made from lentils and are loaded with protein. Try dressing them up on a whole wheat bun with your favorite veggies and spreads.
Recipe Source: MyPlate – Tastee Burgers
- 1 1/4 cup lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (grated)
- 3 cups bread crumbs (fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (crumbled leaf)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- Place lentils in a colander, rinse in cold water and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add onions and carrots. Cook 15 minutes more or until lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in bread crumbs, egg, garlic powder, oregano and salt.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Drop lentil mixture by rounded 1/2 cupful into hot butter. Flatten mounds into patties and cook until firm and golden brown on both sides.
- Top each patty with a thin slice of cheese.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within two hours.