Meatless Dirty Rice
While dirty rice traditionally includes meat, it’s not necessary for this dish! For some extra protein, try adding chicken or sausage.
Recipe Source: SNAP4CT.com recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper,
- diced 1 can (15 oz) diced
- tomatoes 1 ½ cups brown
- rice, instant, uncooked 1
- can (15 oz) black beans or
- beans of your choice,
- drained and rinsed 1
- Tbs canola oil 1
- tsp dried oregano ½ tsp garlic powder (Or instead of these spices try 2 tsp of Caribbean Jerk Seasoning)
- 1 ½ cup water
- Saute onion and green pepper in canola oil, in a large pan, until tender. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, beans, oregano, garlic powder, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and cover.
- Reduce heat to simmer for 5-10 minutes, until rice is nearly tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.