Macaroni and Cheese with Glazed Veggies
Try using sharp cheddar cheese to kick up the flavor in this family favorite.
Recipe Source: cdph.ca.gov
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup chopped onions, about one medium onion
- ¾ cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¾ cups shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- ½ cup 100% orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to the package directions; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add onions to skillet and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk, egg, ground black pepper, and 1½ cups cheese; mix until smooth.
- Add cooked macaroni noodles to the cheese sauce and stir until well coated.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top bubbles and begins to brown.
- While the macaroni and cheese are baking, cook mixed vegetables in a microwave safe dish according to the instructions on the package.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well blended.
- Drain vegetables and toss with the orange juice mixture. Serve hot – 1 cup macaroni with 3/4 cup of vegetables.