Pasta with Beans and Greens
Use any of your favorite hearty greens in this warm, nutritious, and low-cost dish.
Recipe Source: CookingMatters.org recipe
- 1 package whole wheat pasta (16 oz)
- 2 medium onions
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 pounds spinach or kale (1 large bunch),
- 2 cans white beans (15.5 oz cans)
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta following package directions. Drain, reserve 1 cup pasta water. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, rinse, peel, and dice onions and carrot. Peel and mince garlic.
- Rinse greens, more than once if needed to remove all grit. Remove tough stems. Chop coarsely.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add garlic, carrot, onion, and greens. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water and seasonings. Cook until greens are tender.
- Add beans to greens. If needed, add more pasta water to make a sauce.
- Add cooked pasta to beans and greens. Toss to combine. Cook until pasta is heated through, 5 more minutes.