Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
A colorful and tasty side dish for any meal.
Recipe Source: CookingMatters.org
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small summer squash, or ½ medium winter squash
- 1 handful mushrooms
- 1 small head cauliflower
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat pasta
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- ¼ cup torn fresh basil or parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse and peel onion. Rinse squash, mushrooms, and cauliflower. Chop vegetables into bite-size pieces, all equal size.
- In a medium bowl, add oil, salt, pepper, and cut veggies. Stir until veggies are well coated.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread veggies on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until veggies are browned at the edges, about 30–35 minutes.
- During last 10 minutes of baking time, cook pasta following package directions. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water. Drain pasta.
- In a large skillet, add veggies and drained pasta. Heat over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. Stir frequently. Add some of the reserved pasta water to moisten and make a sauce.
- Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. If using grated cheese and fresh herbs, add now. Serve hot