Pasta with Turkey and Vegetable Sauce
Whole wheat pasta boosts protein and fiber in this delicious dish the whole family is sure to love.
Recipe Source: CommonThreads.org
- 1 package whole-grain spaghetti
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 onion (minced)
- 1 carrot (minced)
- 1 stalk celery (minced)
- 4 leaves basil (chopped into thin strips)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and sauté until it is all browned.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, and tomato paste and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Stir frequently to make sure the onions don’t burn to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and half of the basil leaves and cook until the sauce starts to simmer. Add the salt and pepper. Turn the heat to low, and reduce the sauce for another 30 minutes. Reducing makes the sauce thicker by cooking out the extra water.
- While the sauce simmers, cook and drain pasta according to package directions.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!