Rice Bowl Southwestern Style
You can use any leftover cooked grain in this recipe. Try white or wild rice, quinoa, barley or oatmeal. For a spicier dish, add chili powder, red pepper flakes or taco sauce in Step 1.
Recipe Source: FoodHero.org
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (try a mixture – bell peppers, onion, corn, tomato, zucchini)
- 1 cup cooked meat (chopped or shredded), beans or tofu
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 Tablespoons salsa, shredded cheese or low-fat sour cream
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetables and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add cooked meat, beans or tofu and cooked rice to skillet and heat through.
- Divide rice mixture between two bowls. Top with salsa, cheese or sour cream and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.