Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
This tangy Mexican salsa features roasted tomatillos, jalapeño peppers and fresh herbs. Serve with baked tortilla chips and vegetable sticks or try this as a dressing on your salad!
Recipe Source: Produce for Better Health Foundation
- 7 medium tomatillos
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat broiler to 425 degrees F.
- Remove tomatillo husks, rinse under running water then wipe to remove stickiness.
- Place tomatillos in a single layer on a baking sheet with sides.
- Broil until slightly charred, turning once, about 7-8 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet.
- Place tomatillos with juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash with a fork or potato masher into a chunky pureé.
- Chill for at least an hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.