Southern Okra Bean Stew
This is a very hearty stew that can be a complete meal on a cool day. For example, okra, these vegetables are filled with vitamins, minerals, and fiber that help with digestion and keep us full longer.
Recipe Source: foodhero.org southern okra bean stew
- 4 cups of water
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or
3/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup quick brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen, sliced okra
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, and okra. Simmer uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add liquid as needed for desired consistency.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.