This recipe can be enjoyed for any meal of the day. Spice it up with your favorite hot sauce.
Recipe Source: ChooseMyPlate.gov
- 5 potatoes (small, peeled and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable cooking spray)
- 1/2 onion (medium, minced)
- 1 zucchini (medium, sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups green/red peppers (sliced thin)
- 5 mushrooms (medium, sliced)
- 3 eggs (whole, beaten)
- 5 egg whites (beaten)
- Pepper and garlic salt with herbs (to taste)
- 3 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- In a nonstick pan, add oil or vegetable spray and warm at medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until brown. Add vegetables and sauté until tender but not brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat the eggs and egg whites, pepper, garlic salt, and mozzarella cheese. Stir egg cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.
- Oil or spray a 10-inch pie pan or ovenproof skillet. Transfer potatoes and eggs mixture to pan. Spread with Parmesan cheese and bake omelet until firm and brown on top, about 20-30 minutes.