Spicy Stewed Okra
This recipe highlights two summer stars – tomatoes and okra – in a simple stew.
Recipe Source: Modified from a recipe by Jessica B. Harris, Eating Well Magazine
- 1 pound fresh okra, trimmed
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped, or 1 can tomatoes (28 oz), drained and chopped
- 1 habanero or 2 jalapeño peppers, pierced with fork
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Place okra, tomatoes, and chile(s) in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until the okra is tender, 8 to 13 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.