Spring Vegetable Soup
Enjoy this tasty soup with your favorite whole grain bread sandwich. The recipe doubles easily if you need to accommodate a large family or group.
Recipe Source: My Plate Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 red cabbage (medium head, about 2 cups, finely shredded)
- 2 ripe tomatoes (medium, seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts (drained and chopped)
- 1 cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable juice (low-sodium)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté cabbage, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and peas for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable juice and water. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, add basil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender and soup is piping hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in individual serving bowls.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.