Try this delicious soup with acorn squash, pumpkin, butternut squash, crookneck, or a unique variety of winter squash that you grow in your garden or can find at your local market.
Recipe Source: ChooseMyPlate.gov
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions (medium, chopped)
- 2 carrots (medium, chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup tomato puree (canned)
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 4 cups winter squash (cooked)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano (dried)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons basil (dried)
- In a large saucepan, warm oil over medium heat.
- Stir in onions, carrots and garlic.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, covered.
- Stir in the tomato puree, chicken broth, cooked squash, and herbs.
- Bring soup to a simmer and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.