Taco Rice Salad
This tasty southwestern-style rice bowl is a delicious alternative to traditional tacos.
Recipe Source: AZHealthZone.org
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 ½ cups instant brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 seeded jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 cups spinach or romaine lettuce
- 1 ½ cups low-fat cheese, shredded
- Wash onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, and spinach or romaine lettuce before preparing.
- Cook ground meat in a large skillet until brown (160⁰ F). Drain off fat (Do not pour grease down the drain. Let grease harden, then put it in the trash). Rinse meat with warm water to remove remaining grease.
- Add rice, water, onion, and chili powder to meat in skillet. Cover. Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes to cook rice.
- Add tomatoes and jalapeño. Heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place layers of spinach or romaine lettuce, rice mixture, and cheese on plate. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers within 2 hours.