Try this easy, inexpensive Tamale Pie recipe in honor of Dia de la Raza!
Recipe Source: wayne.osu.edu
- 1 cup onion, chopped (1 medium)
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped (1 medium)
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 package (8.5 ounces) corn muffin mix
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- 1 can (4.25 ounces) diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 egg
- Wash hands with soap and water. To wash produce, gently rub produce under cold running water. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook onion, bell pepper, and ground beef until beef is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Wash hands after touching raw beef. Stir in salsa. Stir in cheese if desired.
- Spray an 8-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the meat and vegetable mixture on the bottom of the plate.
- Mix corn muffin mix, yogurt or sour cream, green chilies, and egg until combined. Wash hands after touching raw eggs. Spread on top of the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Bake until corn muffin topping is golden brown and set, about 30 minutes. Cut into 6 slices.