Veggie and Rice Stir-Fry
A healthy version of the popular take-out dish.
Recipe Source: Modified from a Cooking Matters recipe
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 pound broccoli
- 2 medium celery stalks
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small jalapeno or other chili pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 ounces boneless chicken pieces or firm tofu
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cook rice following package directions. Set aside. Cover to keep warm. While rice is cooking, make veggie mixture.
- Rinse and chop broccoli and celery. Peel, rinse, and chop carrots. Rinse and mince jalapeno. Peel and finely chop garlic.
- If using chicken, remove any skin. Cut chicken into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Add 1 teaspoon of the minced jalapeno. Stir.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add ground ginger and stir. Add chicken or tofu. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned and starting to cook through, about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped veggies. Stir frequently. Cook until veggies are tender and chicken is completely cooked but not dry, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over warm brown rice.