West African Peanut Soup
To avoid peanuts or peanut butter, try sunflower seeds or sunflower seed butter.
Recipe Source: foodhero.org
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cooked skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups reduced sodium fat-free chicken broth (see notes)
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, unsalted
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter
- In a large pot, saute onion in sesame oil until translucent; add garlic and chicken and stir to heat through.
- Add seasonings and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, tomato paste, tomatoes, and peanut butter. Stir until well combined.
- Heat over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.