Whole Grain Bowl
Whole grains, such as brown rice and quinoa, are delicious and versatile and full of vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Recipe Source: teamnutrition.usda.gov
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup broccoli (frozen or fresh)
- 2 medium carrots (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons basil
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 2 Tablespoon low-fat cheese (optional)
- Wash hands
- Measure 3 cups of water in a pot, cover the pot until water is boiling.
- Rinse the brown rice and quinoa in colander before cooking.
- Once water is boiling, add brown rice and cook at medium heat for 40 minutes.
- When brown rice is halfway cooked, add 1/2 cup of quinoa, stir.
- Add salt, garlic and oregano.
- After rice and quinoa are cooled, you can build your grain bowl.
- Add layers of vegetables and optional low fat cheese.