Pantry Organization Tips
Whether you have a pantry or cabinets, staying organized can help you utilize your space, make it easier to use what you have, and even help make healthier choices!
Here are some tips to help you keep your food storage under control!
- Follow the FIFO rule.
- That’s “first in, first out.” Use the oldest things in the pantry up first.
- Put the healthiest snacks at eye level.
- Doing this will help you make healthy snack choices when you’re on the go.
- Hang baskets from the wall.
- Grab baskets and hooks from the dollar store to use for produce storage. It will be easy to see what’s in the basket and will allow air to circulate around the produce.
- Give the kids their own shelf.
- Set up one lower shelf (or a basket on a shelf, if you have limited space) that’s stocked with pre-approved snacks for the kids. This way, you don’t have to worry about anyone climbing to get something from a high-up shelf.
- Group things for ease of access.
- If you have a few ingredients that you often use together, store them together in a basket or on a sheet pan that you can easily pull out when you need them.
- Label everything!
- Labels are not just for leftovers. By labeling items, you’ll be able to spot what you need.
- Edit ruthlessly once in a while.
- Make sure to check the dates on your food and clear anything out that will invite pests.
- Try to avoid buying anything you won’t be able to use in more than one recipe.
- If a recipe calls for something you don’t have, make sure you can use it another dish, too. If not, see what you can sub in or out.
- Shop your pantry before you meal plan.
- Remember to look to see what’s in your pantry and note what you want to use up. Try to pick meals that will include those ingredients. Try to do a pantry challenge where you make dinner using only things in your pantry to avoid waste!
- Take a few minutes to reset your pantry.
- A little bit of regular maintenance goes a long way. Wipe up spills, put stuff back where it belongs, toss anything that’s expired, etc! Do this weekly to avoid any massive overhauls.
Source: 30 Best Pantry Organizing Hacks of All Time